maandag 25 oktober 2010

Work in Progress.

The process of finding a job was not easy. I have applied at many websites and got no response back. I went to several places and couldn't find many suitable jobs.
I have looked around in many places and at many different stores. I have looked from launderies to hotels and from hotels to restaurants. Many required experienced people and also have a long waiting time to be accepted to the job. (Criminal record check etc) There are also thousands of advertises on the internet, but it is very odd if the employer response back to the applications I have sent.

The internet is a useful place to look for a job, but it is not useful to get a job. Many employers don't send back replies. This is frustrating and wastes much time.
I have applied to many available callcentre positions and also to many other different jobs. None replied back to me, thus making me jobless for a long period of time. When I found out that replying to "We-seek-employees" advertises is useless, I started to go to the websites of famous stores such as HMV, Blockbusters, Harrods and supermarket websites. I sent my CV and if required my application letters to these websites.

While waiting for any responses, I did not waste my time. I went outside and looked up vacancies at many differenet stores in many different places. I found a few vacancies in bars and restaurants, but these places required experienced people, which I am not part of. I also looked up some reception work, (thinking about communication) and have applied at some hotels and a sport centre. The only place that was interested in my skills and services was the sport centre, its name is "Queen Mother Sports Centre" in Victoria, London. They had an interview with me
and it lasted for about 10 minutes. They asked me about what I will do in certain situations and what my experiences are. They also asked for my references and if I would mind if they performed a CBR-check on me. This was all okay by me, but the only problem was the fact that I did not have any time to wait for the results of these checks since I had to start within a week or less. I told them that I would do my best and that they will hear soon from me with the complete details of myself.

Luckily enough, when I got home, I found out that I received an email from Harrods containing the invitation for me to have an interview with them. The date was set two days after my interview with the sport centre. I waited for that day and haven't done anything else to find myself another potential job. I went to the interview on a Wednesday it lasted for a few minutes. Afterwards, I entered the store for the first time in my life (I find it actually funny that I first had an interview to work in a famous place and that I went to the location for the first time afterwards.) and found it pretty amazing. Some salesmen tried to sell me some expensive stuff, but unfortunately they didn't manage to. I went back home and they
called me once I arrived at home. They told me that I could start next monday and that I should be there at 9 AM. I considered myself to be very lucky and as of right now I am still employed at Harrods.

My role at Harrods is to prepare the ordered items for the customers. I have to organize, pick up and pack the items to make it ready for delivery. The department I work for is the Harrods home shopping department, also called Harrods Direct. It is a fulltime job in Knightsbridge, London.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten